JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Foods that can help and hinder us

Well, I did my grocery shopping tonight.  I've been doing research into different kinds of foods that help me, and which foods to stay away from.  I hope to try them out and spread the word to other chicks about them

1)  Fish - I bought Salmon and Tuna.  Why? Fish contain Omega-3s which decrease the production of chemicals that spread inflammation, plus they inhibit enzymes that trigger it.  They also contain Vitiman D, which helps prevent swelling and soreness.

2) Broccoli -- Which contains Vitiman C to help support my immune system.

3) Nuts -- Brazil nuts contain huge amounts of selenium – 272 micrograms in just three or four nuts, compared to 63 micrograms in 3 ounces of tuna. Which is what helps decrease inflammation.

4) Green Tea -- Studies show that certain antioxidant compounds in the brew lessen the incidence and severity of rheumatoid arthritis.

5) Ginger Tea-- Is a huge anti-inflammatory agent.  It is natural and safe, and has shown to be better than taking 2 asprin. 

I hope these help! Here are a few links that discuss natural food benefits for Arthrits:

http://www.lifescript.com/Health/Conditions/Arthritis/Fight_Arthritis_10_Foods_That_Help_and_Hurt.aspx 

http://www.lef.org/protocols/immune_connective_joint/rheumatoid_arthritis_01.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home