JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Update!

First, I want to thank all of you who follow my blog.  Usually I write blogs with advice and tips to help all of you out, but I also want to vent and update you on my life with RA. I hope it gives others a way to relate, and it adds another way to raise awareness of what we go through. 

This past Wednesday I had my appointment with my Rheumatologist. First, my Rheumy is an hour and a half a way, which stinks in a way, but so worth it because I really love him! We discuss everything that's been going on and he does his usual checkup on me.  My joints look great (they've been feeling great!), but my energy levels have been really low all of the time.  We figured out they started not long after increasing my MTX dose from 10mg to 15mg.  He's concerned about the low energy and said it could be a possible side effect from the MTX or some underlying cause. We discussed that since I've been on Prednisone for months now, it's time to start weening off again.  I'm only on 5mg, so I will ween off over the next 2 weeks.  He sent me for bloodwork to do some tests, and wants to see me back in one month.  Depending on the blood tests, when I go back in one month we are going to try cutting back on the MTX to hopefully help the energy.  If nothing helps, it will be time to discuss new treatment.  He also wants me to go get a bone density test, since the Prednisone can affect that.

Basically I have a lot of waiting to do.  In a way I would like to stay on the MTX since my joints feel great, but I really dislike this low energy.  I feel so useless and tired all of the time, so maybe a new treatment would be more beneficial.  I want to wait to see how I do off the Pred, and see what the blood tests show. So I go back on February 9th for my appointment with my Rheumy, and my bone density test. 




I wish everyone the best of luck and health in the new year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Project Journal said...

Always, always thinking of you, lovey.

January 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Mallory,
It is nice to find your blog. I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA at 18 months old. I took many different meds as a child, including prednizone (alot), aspirin, gold, methotrexate. My JRA seemingly went into 'remission' when I was 12 although I stayed on Vioxx until 18. I thought my medical troubles were a thing of the past. Until 3 years ago when I was 26 and came down with a viral infection, and pericarditis after being in Cardiac icu I had body aches and pains for the next 5 months until seeing a new Rheumatologist who confirmed my JRA was back. I started Enbrel which i had an allergic reaction to so I started Simponi and Methotrexate. Ive been off Methotrexate for 6 months now but just last week was admitted to the hospital for the pericarditis and a viral infection again. I am now researching all the long term effects to these medications ive taken over the years and seeing how to get off the Simponi before it does anymore damage. Ive been a bit depressed about it because I had been feeling well and wanting to start trying to have a baby but now all of that will be put on the back burner. It was good to read some of your blogs. Thank you for taking the time to write.

I wish you the best and hope your symptons miraculously disappear (thats what I'm always wishing for)and that we can finally live a healthy lifestyle like others. Take Care!!

January 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home