JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Friday, May 27, 2011

My procedure/Update

First off, SO sorry I have not written a blog in a long time.  I have been so busy, and just waiting on results to update you all on.  I am going to try, again to get back into the blogging, because I love it!  Let's start off with an update blog on how things have been going in my crazy life!

Well, I had my colonoscopy on Monday May 9th.  The prep beforehand was so awful, I had to drink this awful drink that tasted way more disgusting than prednisone.  It is meant to clean out your digestive track, so I was on the toilet for hours, ah....letting it all out.  Lovely, huh?!  The actual procedure was a breeze, I was knocked out completely with the lovely anesthesia.  I guess the process only takes about 15 minutes or so, which isn't bad at all.  When I came to, they said they couldn't diagnose anything other than some internal hemorrhoids (see below).  They took some biopsies to hopefully get some results, and better assist in diagnosing me. I had to wait about 7 days for the results.  The doctor called, and said she she doesn't know what is wrong with me! She said it could be Crohn's, but the medication I take for my JRA is also used to treat Crohn's, so the medicines could be working and masking the symptoms.  So, she wants me to have an endoscopy, just waiting for the secretary to call me with the date of this procedure.  So, more waiting and worrying for me! Ugh.

Oh for those who wondered what internal hemorrhoids were (as did I), so of course, I looked it up.  I took this right from Web MD: "Internal hemorrhoids often are small, swollen veins in the wall of the anal canal. But they can be large, sagging veins that bulge out of the anus all the time. They can be painful if they bulge out and are squeezed by the anal muscles. They may be very painful if the blood supply to the hemorrhoid is cut off. If hemorrhoids bulge out, you also may see mucus on the toilet paper or stool."  The good news is, treatment is just a high fiber diet, and watching to not eat so many processed foods.

One good thing that seems to be happening, is my joints have been doing well for the past two weeks or so.  I'm hoping the combination of the Methotrexate and Humira is actually working. I've had a little stiffness in my fingers in the morning, and my knee will have some pain if I do too much activity, but if I rest I feel better. I can't remember ever feeling this good. I'm hoping this combo is working for me. I see my rheumatologist next Wednesday, so hopefully I'm still feeling this way so we don't have to discuss a whole new course of medication(s). Also, hopefully this will last a while -- in the past when I've found a medication that "works", it doesn't last very long. We will have to hope and see!

My birthday was on Monday May 23rd, and had a party on Saturday the 21st with just some close friends.  It was fun, and had a pretty good birthday.  I got a Kindle, which was exciting! It will definitely help when my fingers are bothering me. 

Alright, again sorry it has been a while.  As always, what are YOU interested in seeing in the blog? Let me know and I will start doing some research, thanks! (((hugs))) and well wishes to all! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home