JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Update!

Today, I had an appointment with my Rheumatologist in Boston today, which is about an hour and a half away from me.  I was so worried about the coming snow, that I didn't sleep well.  However, I totally lucked out and made it to my appointment, ran some errands and home without seeing a single flake!  It started snowing about an hour after I got home, thankfully! Okay, let's move on to the actual appointment.

First, I found out I've lost 5lbs, yay! Then my doctor and I discussed different treatment options for my RA and my Osteopenia.  Let's start with the RA --He suggested that before moving onto to a completely new medicine, we should try and exhaust all our options with my current medicines.  The reason being is, as he called it, "you're an interesting case".  I've always had a tough time controlling my RA over the years, and have had adverse reactions to many medicines.  So, we agreed upon staying on Humira and Methotrexate and trying the MTX injections instead of the pills.  He explained that when you take the pills, even if you are given 20mg, because of stomach acids, your body really only absorbs 12-15mg.  Whereas the injection, your body absorbs it all.  So we will try that out for 6 weeks, and go from there.

As for the Osteopenia, my Rheum suggested to me that most medicines they prescribe for it, will make it so I won't be able to have children.  He knows I'd like to try and have one someday, so he said he couldn't do that to me.  He asked me to make an appointment with an Endocrinologist, one he knows who specializes in cases like mine.  I have an appointment with her on April 14th.  I also have an appointment with the Gastrologist on April 7th to see about my stomach issues.

Overall, it went okay and I just have to wait and see if the medicines work out or not.  I feel better trying with the MTX than something completely new, because of my history of reactions.  I will keep everyone updated, especially after my appointment. Thanks for everyone who reads my blogs!  Just a heads-up, that I may not post any blogs for a week or so.  I have a friend (another RA chick!) coming to visit and stay with me for a week, I don't wanna be occupied while she's here, but I will resume after she returns home.  Thanks again everyone!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jonah said...

Nice post thanks ffor sharing

May 31, 2022 at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home