JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Medical Update

Hello!! I will get back in the swing of writing medical blogs soon, it's time to update everyone on what's going on! I saw my rheumatologist on Wednesday August 3rd, and made out really well.  I've been on the Mehtotrexate injections since late March, and Humira for about 7 years.  It takes months for medications to work to their fullest extent, so being patient is important with RAers!!  For the past 3 weeks, including when I was away, I've been feeling really good RA wise.  I've had no swelling, just a few days of a little stiffness that went away easily.  My doctor was happy with my progress and how I've been feeling, and we both agreed to stay on this same regime for another 6 months or more to better see if it's actually working. I see him again in two months (hopefully not sooner) to see how I'm feeling.

 I'm happy with the way I've been feeling, I just don't want to get my hopes up yet.  It'd be nice to have found "the one" medication combination that works for me.  After dealing with this for about 23 years, it's nice to feel somewhat normal.  Time will tell, and as I said, I need to be patient and see.

I lost more weight over the vacation... I'm down to 14lbs lost and weigh 105lbs... not from diet or exercise but from my stomach issues that are still occurring.  I had my Endoscopy on Monday August 8th.  Yesterday my gastro doctor called and said everything looks good, so it appears I have IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome) that is treated by diet.  From all the research I've done online, it seems going "Gluten Free" is the way to be! Those with IBS who went gluten free saw great improvements with little to no symptoms.  It'll be tough, but I am going to go for it.  If it will help, it's the best thing I can do for me.  The pain I experience is horrendous, so it will be nice to not have to live with it anymore.  I did a blog a while ago on gluten free, so if you'd like more information about it, be sure to ask. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home