JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Shopping!

Ah... it's that time of year again, dreaded Christmas Shopping.  I don't know about anyone else, but grocery shopping alone is exhausting, draining and stressful, never mind holiday shopping!  I try and get most of my shopping done in one trip, I hate crowds, especially crowded malls.  Except every year that I do that, I come home feeling completely exhausted!   It seems every year there's someone else to buy for, and one more place to go shopping. 

I started off my shopping alone, so I could buy my fiance, Adam, his gifts, he's a peeker so I have to go while he's at work, then wrap them right away, lol! I then went out with him later and we finished the shopping together.  It's definitely a help to have a carriage to lean on and a loved one to help.  I'm home now and feel so drained! I wish shopping was fun, I don't know how some people love shopping and go all the time.  For those who feel like me online shopping at places like Amazon.com are a great place to find a lot of great gifts.  Also, most stores now you can buy online and pick up your items in the store so you don't have to worry about shipping charges, standing in lines/crowds or packages being left at the house. 

Here are some shopping tips to help us through the holidays so we don't end up looking like this lady over here.  Which is how I feel right now and need to learn to follow my own advice!

--- Go with a group of friends or family members.  Having company come along to go shopping always helps to keep our minds off the pain.  However, don't forget to take frequent breaks, in the long run it will help.  Most malls have benches throughout and a food court.  If you have some friends who want to go into a store that you don't need anything in, don't go in, sit at the closest bench and take a breather.  Pushing yourself is going to be harmful to you.

--- Make a list of who you're buying for, what you're getting them, and where you can buy them.  If there is something on your list that, let's say your husband/friend/mother, pass the store on their way home from work, ask them to pick it up for you.  It will save you a trip to the store, and you won't have to worry about going out, especially if you're in pain.

---Another good idea is to start early!! Take it one day at a time and make the moves as you feel comfortable with your joint pains. After all, you don't have to sit at home all the time and despair about your rheumatoid arthritis condition all the time. So some back-to-back shopping will serve as an ideal getaway!


Happy shopping everyone!!!


1 Comments:

Blogger Project Journal said...

This is great, Mal!! I'm glad that you found Adam's gift ; ) And that he helped you later, you sounded a little bit drained yesterday. Ah well, good job getting this post done! I couldn't get mine done for today....no energy. Luckily Amber understood lol. I am so proud of you for getting this blog up and going! Hopefully you get your errands done today quickly and pain free *hugs*
Hannah

December 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home