JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Friday, November 4, 2011

Relaxtion....

Relaxation.... it's nice when one can find the time to actually relax and enjoy some "me" time once and a while.  Everyone has their own way of relaxing, whether it be to play or listen to music, workout, read, nap, cook...etc.  Everyone has something that relaxes them, and gives them time to just focus on that and nothing else. 

Relaxing is an important part of life, to help elevate our stress, which can really impact our lives.  Stress itself can cause many health problems, including depression, obesity, high blood pressure, skin problems and more!  Trying to find ways and the time to de-stress can be stressful in of itself, but it is vitally important.  Try to find some time to relax and enjoy time to yourself, even if it's for half hour a week, at least your giving yourself some time to get rid of that negative energy, and take in the positive. 

Personally, I have a few different activities that relax me, which I'm sure for most people there are more than one.  One of my favorite activities I do to relax is reading.  Getting lost in a book is relaxing, because you get involved in the story and forget about things in your life that are bothering you.  Let your imagination run wild while trying to imagine what the characters look like, what the scenery a certain chapter is taking place in, is just an awesome feeling.  I try to read as often as I can, my favorite genre to ready is fantasy and sci-fi, because I can really let my imagination run wild!  Another favorite activity of mine is baking.  Baking is relaxing because I can concentrate on what needs to be put into the recipe to make it turn out right... and of course, I get a yummy treat when I'm done!  My favorite food to bake is cupcakes, as many friends of mine will know.  I love being creative with not only what goes into the cupcake, but the decorations on the outside.  Again, I love using my imagination to relax me! 

Probably one of the weirdest things I do to relax is shower.  Not just washing my body clean, but I absolutely love to just sit in the tub with the shower head on me.  Not a bath, just the shower head.  There is something about it that is just so relaxing! I know it's probably bad, I'm wasting water....but it honestly feels so good.  I really have to be careful with baths because of my eczema, but the warm water not only feels good on my joints, but I can feel my whole body relax.  I just sit back and close my eyes and let my mind wander....sometimes I think of nothing, sometimes I think of all the things bothering me or worrying me.  There is just something about it, that calms me down.  I could sit there all day some days....ahh. Usually I do it every once and a great while, but I seem to be doing it more often.  I don't seem to have any more stress than normal lately, but it just feels so good.

Like I said before, relaxing is really important for our health.  I know people who lead busy lives find it impossible to do, but try.  When I was working, I'd read on my lunch break (while eating my lunch) to forget about work for a little while.  Sometimes if I could eat lunch at another time, or skip it, I'd go for a walk on my break.  Just a slow walk, alone to let my mind wander.  These are just some examples... it's important to find something that relaxes YOU, and of course finding the time to do so.  I wish you all luck, relaxing and stress-free lives! (I know with the holidays coming up, relaxation will be VERY important not to kill our families lol)

If you'd like to read a great article on how stress affects our everyday lives, and ways to help eliminating it, check out this website: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/stress-your-health.cfm#e

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home