JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankful for...

Did you know that the first U.S. Thanksgiving holiday was held in 1621 at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts?
I live in Mass, about 40 minutes away from Plymouth.  It first began as a celebration for a good harvest, and was celebrated on all different days each year.  It wasn't until 1863 when Abraham Lincoln was president, did he decide that Thanksgiving be celebrated on the last Thursday of November each year.  In 1941, president Franklin D. Roosevelt changed Thanksgiving to occur on the fourth (not always the final) day of November, and signed a bill with Congress, making it a national holiday. 

Thanksgiving being my favorite holiday, I was thinking of writing a blog for everyday of November something I'm thankful for, instead I'll just compile it into one blog.  I love Thanksgiving so much, because it isn't about presents or material things, like Christmas sadly seems to have become for most people.  It's day we can be thankful for all we have, and spend the day with love ones fill with good food, love an laughter. 

30 Things I am Thankful for:

#1:  I am thankful for my wonderful fiance, Adam.  Who I'm not sure I would be where I am today, without him.  He's the most loving, caring and understanding person I've met, especially through all my health endeavors.  I love him with all of my heart, and more.
Adam & I
#2: I am thankful for one of my dearest friends, Diana.  She's another caring, kind person who I can totally be my dorky self around.  We have a connection that I don't share with others, and I think it's what makes our friendship stronger.  I love her very much!  (Mischief Managed)

#3: I am thankful for my other dearest friend, Brenna. Her and I met through having RA together, and share health stories.  Her and I can totally, 100% understand each other, and be able to comfort one another in ways others can't.  I love her and happy to have met her (if only we had met sooner! socks!)

#4:  I am thankful for my two cats, Harley and Mrs. Nesbitt.  While some may find this silly, they are great companions when I'm feeling sick.  I swear they know when I'm feeling down, they'll cuddle with me or do something that totally makes me laugh.  They just know how to make me feel better without even trying.

#5: I am thankful for my health.  While my health is pretty crappy, and I am constantly having something go wrong, it's made me the strong person I am today.  I know I'd be a completely different person if I hadn't been dealing with this all my life, and I'm not sure I'd like the person I was without it.  Also, things could be way worse off than they are, and I am VERY thankful for that. 

#6: I am thankful for my Dad.  He passed away last year, and am incredibly sad that he's gone, and miss him very much.  I am thankful for the time I was able to spend with him, and know he is with me, always.

My dad & I

#7: I am thankful for my family.  I have such a large family, and they're so fun to be around!  It's sad we only get together on holidays because of every one's busy lives, but it is still wonderful to be able to have that time together.

#8: I am thankful for being able to go forth with my photography.  While I'm still new, and learning things everyday with it, I'm lucky to be able to use my creative eye in ways that make me happy!

#9: This may sound ridiculous, but I'm thankful for books.  Whenever I am feeling down, I love to get lost in a book, getting wrapped up in a story, crying and laughing with the characters.  It helps to get lost in a world and let my imagination run wild, it helps me forget the things I worry about.

#10: I am thankful for Modern Medicine.  Without it, I'd be stuck in a wheelchair not being able to move, with my body fastly deteriorating, or I'd probably be dead.  A lot of the medicines I am on, or have tried in the past are indeed harsh, they still have helped me have a [hopefully] longer life.

#11:  Humor!  Laughter is indeed the best medicine.  I am so thankful for people making me laugh (especially Adam, Diana, and Scott), and being able to make others laugh.  Most of my jokes are corny and I sometimes mess up movie lines, it's fun to laugh! Hahaha!
Brenna & I, being silly!

#12: I'm thankful for having a roof over my head, a place to call home.

#13: I'm thankful for the food I'm able to eat.  SO many are without food, I wish I had the means to help those in need.

#15: I'm thankful for my wonderful doctors, especially my Rheumatologist who not only goes out of his way to make sure I'm cared for, but actually listens to what I have to say and let the decisions be mine.  He doesn't tell me what to do, but rather give me options and his opinions. 

#16:  Thankful for the men and women who serve our country.  While I think the war is ridiculous, they still risk their lives everyday.

#17:  I'm thankful for the food I eat everyday.  So many have to go without food, it's sad.
Harry Potter Cupcakes I made

#18: Thankful for education, I was lucky to be able to go on to college and further it as well.

#19: Heat! Thankful to have an apartment with working heat.  Winters get cold, and some people can't afford the oil, or live in places with inadequate heat.

#20:  I'm thankful for the wonderful friends I've met online from RA support groups.  They make dealing with this dreadful disease so much easier! Thank you all!!!

#21: Thankful for the Internet and the ability to write this blog! I'm able to connect with others and reach out and help spread awareness of RA and other illnesses.

#22: Memories, yes I'm thankful for the good and the bad.  Without them, I don't think I'd be able to make some decisions in life. 

#23: Love.  Thankful for the ability to love and be loved.  It's such a wonderful feeling!

#24: Thankful for the wonderful change of seasons I am able to experience.  Even though some interfere with my health, I love seeing the changes in the earth, how beautiful it all appears. 
Fall tree, I took this!
#25:  Thankful for chocolate, boy is it yummy and makes me happy!

#26: Water, so thankful for that! Water is so important to keep our bodies hydrated and healthy.

#27: Baking!! I absolutely love to bake, and having the ability and means is awesome.  I love baking food for others to try, food makes everyone happy! ;)

#28: So thankful for music! Music is so soothing, calming and a great stress reliever.  Having a fiance who plays guitar, definitely helps in that aspect.  Music makes the soul happy.

#29: Thankful for my friends, who just make my life better by being in them.

#30:  And finally, I'm thankful for being able to just wake up everyday and enjoy life the best that I can.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Diana said...

I have to start reading these more often... I'm missing out on some great stuff. You have so many talents! Love you, too! So glad to have you as a part of my life!

December 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home