JRA.... Journal of a Radical Arthritis Chick

Here I give advice, speak of my experiences and give information to those who want to better understand Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am NOT a medical professional, and you should always seek advice from a doctor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Hello everyone! I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was just 3 years old. I've had my battles with this disease over the years, and have decided to create a blog. I want to share my stories and adivce with other RA chicks, or anyone interested, to raise awareness and get insight from others. Feel free to comment/question me about anything. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Medical Update

For the past year or so, I've been experiencing severe upper back pain.  I ignored it for so long because I am so sick of new symptoms and illnesses popping up, and seeing so many doctors.  My fiance, Adam kept suggesting that I call, he was concerned because no matter how much he massaged by back, the pain just kept getting worse. It was getting to the point where my actual bones were so sore, I was woken up during the night from the pain being so bad, I was in tears.  I finally took Adam's advice, and called a chiropractor.

After doing research, I found one within walking distance from my apartment (about 1/4 a mile), and he received all 5 star reviews from his patients! I didn't see a single review below 5 stars, so I knew this would be the one I should call.  I called this past Tuesday, and was able to get in and be seen THAT afternoon! Wow!  He did a physical exam, asked a lot of questions and then sent me for X-rays so he could see what was going on in there.  I was able to go back yesterday (Thursday) to get the results!  I found out that I have mild scoliosis in my mid and lower back.  He said this could also be causing my severe menstrual cramps I've been having, since my back is out of alignment, it could be causing strain on the pelvic muscles that cause cramping. 

We then discussed treatment options, including exercise, diet and treatments performed in the office.  He will be giving me adjustments, and have to use something called The Spinalator table, which is a table I lie down on my back on, that contains chiropractic rollers that go up and down my entire spine.  According to Access Equipment Corp, “the rollers lift and separate each segment of the spine. The rollers also elevate to increase the level of pressure applied to the back. The rollers are then moved up and down the spine by a travel system."  He did both that day, and said I'd need to come in three (3) times a week for treatment.  Normal, healthy people take about 4-8 weeks to fully heal, but with my illnesses and immuno-suppressant medicines, I could take as long as 8-12 weeks. 

Both the adjustment and table didn't hurt, and felt really great.  I go again tomorrow, and hope this is able to help my pains.  I am also going to look into starting some yoga, as I know this will help not only my back, but my RA as well.  I found a DVD that is called "Yoga for Arthritis", and is gentle on my joints, as normal yoga I can not do, it hurts too much.  It may be a long while before I feel some relief, but I feel better now that I have some answers and a plan of action!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that the chiropractor does the trick for you.

December 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home